Monday, May 24, 2010

May

It's been a while since I've done a real post, so here is what we've been up to the past few weeks. I've been working a ton this summer. I have 3 different jobs which combines into full time hours. I'm working for two different professors in the Math Ed department doing research, and I'm also working for another department in the School of Education doing research as well for them. I've been transcribing/coding transcripts for the math department, and I've been doing a literature review and writing pieces of a secondary education behavior manual book thinger for my other job. I know it sounds boring, but I'm getting paid really well (compared to other campus jobs) and it's preparing me for grad school which is all I can ask for right now. Jared is staying busy with his internship in SLC and then working part time on campus as well. It has worked out great because he only has to go to SL on Tuesdays and Thursdays which saves time and gas. He's working for a place called Struck up there. They are a design/advertising agency. I'm pretty sure they are the largest agency in the Salt Lake area, so it's been a good experience for him.

We decided to get crazy and refinish our coffee table. We've had big plans for that thing since we got married last year, but we haven't had enough time to do anything with it until now. I honestly didn't think it was going to be that big of a project, but I was definitely wrong!! It took FOREVER to sand that beast down!! So the first week was completely just sanding. Our fingers were completely ragged by the time we were finished. When we finally got it sanded we went and bought some stain. It was pretty funny because neither of us knew what we were doing so the legs got a tad bit (like alot) saturated with the stain, I was a little nervous that we had ruined them, but we put two coats of stain on the table itself and it ended up looking pretty good. The stain takes forever to dry, and we've had other things happening the past week so it took a few days for us to finally get it done. Today we (and when I say "we" I really mean Jared!) put the last coat of polyurethane on it tonight so by tomorrow we'll have our table back! We want to eventually do the same thing with our end table, but given the horrible sanding experience, it will be a couple of months before we get to it!

Sorry, no "before" pictures, only "after"!


Here is our beauty!


My Vanna pose, baha!


Last week we went and hung out with Heidi and Jeff's family. It was really fun to go and have dinner with them. Mikell came up with her friend Dan and the kids totally loved having us there. It's always fun to see them! We told Kell that her and Dan need to take us rock climbing sometime soon (they are both pro!) so hopefully that story will be soon to come.

Nick came down to Provo and Jared went kayaking down the Provo river with him. I guess they had a pretty good time, but I can't imagine getting anywhere near that freezing cold water! Jared and I got onto an ultimate frisbee team with some friends and we had a game on Friday night. On Friday I went down and visited the kids that I student taught last semester. It was really fun to see them! It was their fitness day down there, so we spent most of the day playing kickball with other classes. The kids were so funny though, they'd see me and be like, "OOOHH it's you!! You're back!!" haha it made me laugh! I'm grateful I was able to have such great students.

Jared was a gem on Saturday and went shopping with me for the whole entire afternoon. I needed a serious wardrobe update, and I had some money from graduation, so I went and splurged. It's been a while since I've been shopping, so I guess I'm out of the loop, but what's the deal with every top being some solid color?? And what's with this new style where every shirt is purposely a little oversized? Some store worker said that it's the new thing to wear baggier shirts with skinny jeans, but come on people, who really wants to look like a boxy tent up top?! I just have to vent here a minute. . . do you know how hard it is to find button up tops that fit me in the waist, but that don't "pop" open in the bust?! Good grief, I'm not that big up top, but I was seriously having the hardest time finding a blouse that fit me right! Anyway, I found some cute outfits, and Jared was actually pretty good at picking things out for me. The best find was a sexy black dress from Dillard's! They didn't have my size at the store so I had to order it, but I'm so excited to get it in a couple of days! I've never had a nice black dress, so it will be cool to have a classic dress that won't ever go out of style. I'll post pics on Sunday if I have it by then!

Anyway this post is longer the usual, but I've been a slacker the past while so I needed to catch up!

5 comments:

Melissa Musso said...

glad to get an update, and that coffee table holy cow that thing is like a whole new table! I'm super impressed. Miss you guys, love you!

Rachel said...

The table looks great!Jeff and I need to refinish ours so now I know who to call when we need directions.

Momma G. said...

Hey, the coffee table rocks!! Good job you guys! Sounds like your summer is busy and fun so far...don't forget to fit in a little number for our talent show at the beach! Love you guys!

Whitney and Chris said...

Love the table BTW! It look 1000 times better! way to go! And... be grateful to have the "too big up top" problem. Those of us that have not been so well endowed are jealous! Love you!

lorimu said...

Hey Stacie the table looks great. Before you do the end table you might want to invest in a palm sander. They are cheap and will save you a TON of time. I second Whitney's comment about "up on top" however, I don't really know what she's complaining about :-) Love ya! I'm glad you two are doing well!